The Buccaneer Hotel, just to the east of Christiansted, is set on grounds of what once was sugar plantation. It’s an idyllic setting, high on a hill, where the views are beyond compare and the climate is beyond perfect. My visit to the Buccaneer Hotel left me with more fond memories than I can count. The atmosphere is one of quiet elegance, the food excellent, the guest rooms inviting, the beaches… well, the beaches defy description, and the golf course is amazing. I guess you can tell from the preceding that the Buccaneer is a hotel I love (it’s one of my absolute favorites) and have no hesitation recommending to you.
“Founded in the 17th century and family-run for generations, St. Croix's Buccaneer is the Caribbean's and Virgin Islands' longest running resort. Both historic and modern, the resort blends old world charm with warm hospitality and the amenities expected by today's traveler. More than a hotel, The Buccaneer is a premier destination resort for golf, tennis, water sports, weddings, honeymoons and family vacations.”
The Buccaneer is a destination beach resort, family-owned and operated since 1947. Its 340 tropical acres feature an 18-hole golf course, eight tennis courts, three beaches, water sports center, fitness center, four restaurants and shopping arcade with fine boutiques. Some 138 spacious, elegant guest rooms are scattered throughout the property, from the hilltop main building (where Alexander Hamilton lived as a child) to the ocean’s edge, all offering expansive terraces or balconies with sea and island views.
Resort Activities and Recreation:
- Beach Activities and Water Sports: Guests receive complimentary use of ocean kayaks, snorkeling gear, floating mats, beach toys and games at the hotel’s staffed Beach Shacks located on the Mermaid and Grotto Beaches. Ping-pong and beachside basketball are also offered. Learn-to-scuba classes are available for guests 10 years old and over. Guests successfully completing this complimentary two-hour session may opt for a shallow open-water dive on another day, at extra charge.
- Golf at the Buccaneer: Designed by Bob Joyce in 1973, the Buccaneer is a par 70 layout that plays just 5,668 yards with spectacular views of the Caribbean Sea from 13 holes,
- Spa: Check out the Hideaway Spa for a Deluxe Therapeutic Massage
- Tennis: If tennis is your game, you’ll enjoy the use of eight courts and can take lessons from the pro.
- Nature and History Walk: Join general manager Elizabeth Armstrong on Thursday mornings for an informative narrative on the flora, fauna and fascinating history of The Buccaneer. (Schedule subject to change.)
- Fitness Center and Jogging Trail: Enjoy complimentary use of the hotel’s fitness equipment, including treadmills, elliptical machines, recumbent cycles, leg curls, lat rower, bench press, bicept/tricept curl, leg extensions and free weights, is available 24/7. For outdoor fitness, a meandering two-mile trail that includes Par Course work-out stations can be accessed in the early morning and late afternoon hours.
- Manager’s Cocktail Party: Enjoy steel pan music, hors d’oeuvres and rum punch at the Tuesday afternoon party hosted by the Armstrong family and the guest services staff. Folkloric mocko-jumbies, or stilt dancers, provide unique island entertainment and provide a great photo opportunity.
- Crab Races: The weekly running of the crabs is a Buccaneer tradition, and is especially appreciated by the under-betting-age set.
- Kids Camp: Parents get a break and kids get to have fun at the complimentary Kids’ Camp for 4-12 year olds, from 9:30am-5:30pm, with beach fun, games, crafts, movies and other age-appropriate activities.
- Family Activities: With 340 self-contained tropical acres, The Buccaneer is a natural playground for all ages.
- Art Classes: St. Croix artist Jane Aiken leads a watercolor class on the hotel’s beautiful Great House Terrace, with expansive views to serve as inspiration.
- Nightly Entertainment: Conclude your day with dinner or night-cap at The Terrace, located in the Great House. Live local entertainment is scheduled nightly.
- Shopping Arcade: Resort wear, designer fashions, gifts, souvenirs and sundries are available on property.
- Compare Prices on nights for The Buccaneer Hotel
More Great Places to Stay in St. Croix:
There are, of course, quite a few other fine resorts in St. Croix. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Compare Prices on nights for the King Christian Hotel
- Compare Prices on nights for Carambola Beach Resort
- Compare Prices on nights for Caravelle Hotel
- Compare Prices on nights for the Chenay Bay Beach Resort
The Buccaneer St. Croix,
US Virgin Islands,
Golf 340-712-2144, Tennis 340-773-3036, Spa 340-712-2149,
How to get There:
The Henry E. Rohlsen Airport is the only airport in St. Croix, but it handles both international traffic and flights coming in from elsewhere in the Caribbean. The best service to this St. Croix airport is offered by American Airlines, which has connections through San Juan, Puerto Rico, from both New York City and Newark, New Jersey. The airport is just 13 miles from Christiansted, the island’s capital, which is easily reached by taxi or rental car
Look for the best airline and car rental deals with these two aggregators, which provide travelers with an up-to-date search tool to compare prices on airfares and car rentals of all ratings:
Return to Review of Golf in the U.S. Virgin Islands
And don’t forget: there are many other opportunities for great golf all over the world. Favorite locations include Scotland, Florida, the American Southwest, Bermuda, the Bahamas and many more. For up-to-date golf travel news and information, be sure to Subscribe to my weekly Newsletter.