Golf in the U.S. Virgin Islands - it would seem to have just about everything the wandering golfer is looking for: sun, sand, emerald seas, cool breezes that blow constantly in off the ocean, warm days and balmy nights, and several very special golf courses. All of this means you can tee-off U.S. Virgin Islands'-style against one of the most dramatic backdrops in the Caribbean. Configured by world acclaimed designers and putted-on by presidents, the golf courses on St. Thomas and St. Croix cater to golf enthusiasts who love to `play a round' while on vacation. So, if you’re looking for something really different for a golf vacation, you could not do better than the US Virgin Islands.
The U.S. Virgin Islands are near and dear to my heart. It was in St. Croix that I spent my first Caribbean vacation, and on St. Thomas that I enjoyed one of those fabulous weeks one never seems quite able to forget. Golf for me in those days was a sometime thing, not the obsession it seems to have become today. I do, however, have fond memories of the magnificent golf course at the Buccaneer Hotel on St. Croix. As to the other two courses on these tiny American islands… well, I can only say they offer golfers an unexpected, though not necessarily new, dimension in golf travel and will make wonderful memories that will last for a lifetime.
Where to Play Golf in the U.S. Virgin Islands:
Where to Stay in the U.S. Virgin Islands:
- St. Croix: The Pink Fancy
- St. Croix: The Buccaneer
- St. Thomas: Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach
- St. Thomas: Bluebeard’s Castle
How to get There:[ul
- St. Thomas: The Cyril E. King international airport, St. Thomas, (STT) 340-776-6282, is three miles (15 minutes) from Charlotte Amalie, and is easily reached by taxi, public bus or rental car.
- St. Croix: The Henry E. Rohlsen Airport is the only airport in St. Croix, but it handles both international traffic and flights coming in from elsewhere in the Caribbean. The best service to this St. Croix airport is offered by American Airlines, which has connections through San Juan, Puerto Rico, from both New York City and Newark, New Jersey. The airport is just 13 miles from Christiansted, the island’s capital, which is also easily reached by taxi or rental car.
Look for the best airline and car rental deals with these two aggregators, which provide travelers with an up-to-date search tool to compare prices on airfares and car rentals of all ratings:
And don’t forget: there are many other opportunities for great golf all over the world. Favorite locations include Scotland, Florida, the American Southwest, Bermuda, the Bahamas and many more. For up-to-date golf travel news and information, be sure to Subscribe to my weekly Newsletter.