The Waccamaw Golf Trail is a collection of 11 championship golf courses all located just minutes south of Myrtle Beach. The list includes some of America's most awarded golf courses, including three of "America's Top 100 Public Courses," one of Golf for Women Magazine's "Top 25 in America," six 4 1/2-star courses and one of only three 5-star courses in the Southeastern United States. The Waccamaw Golf Trail is situated in the heart of one of America's most popular resort destinations. To compliment the outstanding golf, the area offers beautiful beaches, award-winning restaurants, interesting shops and the world-famous Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort, just minutes from these stunning golf courses.
Read my review of Litchfield Beach & Golf Resort
The Golf Courses - not in any special order:
- Willbrook Plantation: Willbrook Plantation has been named in the Golf for Women Magazines 2004 & 2005 list of "America's Best 50 Courses" and has been featured on Nature Scene TV for its peaceful coexistence of golf and wildlife. Noted course designer Dan Maples has called Willbrook "One of my best". Carved from the site of two Carolina plantations. With a 4 1/2 star rating by Golf Digest in their "Places to Play",
- Caledonia Golf & Fish Club has been an award winning course since it opened in 1995. Built upon the site of a working southern rice plantation, Caledonia has been recognized both for its design and incredible beauty. Caledonia was named 5th Best New Public Course in America by Golf Digest, ranked 26th in the "Top 100 You Can Play" by Golf Magazine 2004, one of the "Top 31 Best Upscale Courses in America" as well as a 4 1/2 star rating by Golf Digest 1996 - 2005.
- River Club, another 4 1/2 Star rated course in the Southend of the Beach, is also the only course in the Pawleys Island area to have bent grass greens. A Tom Jackson Signature Course, it's a favorite among returning golfers. There is some room off the tee, but as the name implies, water is present on almost every hole, and over 100 bunkers await the stray shot. The dramatic 18th hole offers one of the most beautiful and exciting risk-reward finishes anywhere!
- True Blue Plantation is a "must play" course in the Myrtle Beach area. This well manicured layout features vast fairways and incredible elevations. The rolling terrain and native vegetation of this once thriving indigo and rice plantation makes for one of the most spectacular settings in golf. Recently ranked "#1 in the Myrtle Beach Area" by Golf Digest and a 4 1/2 star rating in their Places to Play, as well as named in "America's Top 100 Greatest Public Courses".
- Blackmoor Golf Club is Gary Player's only signature course in the area. Blackmoor is built on the historic Longwood Plantation which parallels the Waccamaw River. This spectacular undulating design takes advantage of the natural terrain and beautiful vistas making it a most enjoyable place to play.
- The Heritage Club: Your day at The Heritage Club is a trip back in time. Built on two of South Carolina's historic plantations along the scenic Waccamaw River. This is a traditional favorite of Grand Strand golfers. Over 600 acres of giant magnolias, 300-year-old oaks, fresh water lakes and marshes have been transformed into a golf course that rivals any course in the Southeast.
- Litchfield Country Club was ranked one of the "world's 50 best" in 1996 by Conde Nast Traveler. The mature tree-lined fairways wind amid giant oaks and shimmering lakes of a former Carolina rice plantation, creating an extraordinarily challenging "country club" experience.
- TPC Of Myrtle Beach: Walk in the footsteps of golf's legends ~ Tom Watson, Gary Player, Ray Floyd, Lee Trevino, Lanny Wadkins and others ~ at the PGA Tours own TPC of Myrtle Beach, former host of the SENIOR TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP. TPC of Myrtle Beach is regarded among the top courses in the area.
- Pawleys Plantation is a classic Lowcountry design that you can play many times and never have the same shot twice. With subtle greens enveloped by sand bunkers, challenging fairways dotted with water and unique obstacles evident on every hole, this is a players course that demands strategy, ingenuity and concentration.
- Wachesaw Plantation East is carved our of gently rolling terrain. this heavily wooded courses offers 5 sets of tees for golfers of all skill levels. This Clyde Johnston layout has been the site of four nationally-televised professional golf tournaments on the LPGA Tour.
- Tradition Golf Club: Located adjacent to the Willbrook community, Tradition Golf Club brings to the Lowcountry a championship course that boasts the proud traditions of the great courses that stood the test of time.
Where to Stay:
I recommend you try the Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort. It's located within minutes of the Waccamaw Trail Golf Courses and offers a full range of amenities, including more than seven miles of pristine beach.
- Compare Prices for Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort
How to get There:
The Waccamaw Golf Trail is located on Myrtle Beach's Grand Strand. The closest regional airport is the Myrtle Beach Airport. The airport is served by Delta, Continental, US Air, SpiritAir, and several others.
Look for the best airline and car rental deals with these two aggregators, which provide travelers with an up-to-date search tool to compare prices on airfares and car rentals of all ratings:
Only in Myrtle Beach will you find such a diversity of golf courses and resorts to choose from. This is one I can personally recommend.
And don't forget: there are many other opportunities for great golf all over the world. Favorite locations include Scotland, Florida, the American Southwest, Bermuda, the Bahamas and many more. For up-to-date golf travel news and information, be sure to Subscribe to my weekly Newsletter.