"Where's the best golf course in the United States?" It's a question I get asked almost on a daily basis, and it's not an easy one to answer. I've been privileged to visit a great many incredible golf courses around the US, and I'm visiting new ones every month. I'm always very much spoiled for choice, so my picks, below, for the top-10 golf courses in the USA is a list in a constant state of flux.
Please remember: the courses included in this list are my own personal favorites as of right now: the list is not an official scientific or polled set of ratings. You may like other courses, most people do. I will, of course, be updating the list from time to time, too.
Latest update: October 31, 2010: I've just returned from a second visit to Dove Mountain, Tucson. No change to the top position: the 27-hole Jack Nicklaus layout remains my all-time favorite.
- The Dove Mountain 27-Hole layout, Tucson, designed by Jack Nicklaus
- The Greg Norman Golf Course at Red Sky, Vail, CO
- Sawgrass PLAYERS Stadium Course, Florida
- Firecliff at Desert Springs, California
- Sharks Tooth Golf Club, St. Joe, Florida
- The Blue Monster at Doral, Florida
- Edgewood, Lake Tahoe, Nevada
- Royal St. Kitts Golf Club Course
- The TPC at Sawgrass - Dye's Valley Golf Course
- Lucayan Golf Course, Freeport, Bahamas, a Dick Wilson design